The fascination of the Rocca that dominates Suvereto
The complex called Rocca di Suvereto is the final result of a series of construction activities over different historical periods, starting with the counts Aldobrandeschi in the late 12th century, in the same place where the previous fortified structures dating back to the 9th century stood.
The tower was expanded with the transfer of power to the town of Suvereto and to the city of Pisa and at the end of the 13th century the fortified complex was enlarged with the construction of a building abutting the northern wall of the tower.
The building was completed in 1308, as shown by an inscription that is still legible on one of the two entrance arches, and it housed a garrison from Pisa.
After being abandoned, the Rocca was transformed into small units for residential use and was then abandoned once again towards the middle of the 20th century.
The renovation works, carried out at the start of 2000, allowed this important monument to be recovered and it now has the form of an imposing fortified complex, consisting of a tower with square base and abutting building.
The wall is made of stone, with embrasures that open up at different heights along the walls over the village and surrounding countryside. The entrance gate greets visitors with a beautiful round stone arch.