In the inhabited center of
The Rocca is a large monumental complex in the town of Campiglia Marittima, surrounded by defensive walls. In the complex there is an almost completely conserved building, which now hosts the museum, the tower, the cistern and the ruins of another adjacent structure. In the 12th century, the complex was home to its founders, a branch of the Della Gherardesca family, and then to garrisons from Pisa and Florence.
The finds from the digs are therefore everyday (tableware, personal and votive objects, toys) and military (part of a corazzina to protect the breast, a mesail to protect the head, arrows for bows and a crossbow for hunts and battles) objects. A slab engraved in 1380 by a soldier, a certain Baldo or Bandini, depicting a battle scene was found in the layers of the tower’s butti (natural cavities used as landfills). The display is enhanced with panels illustrating the life and customs of civilian and military society in Medieval Tuscany.